How much money do you need to visit New York City? And how much does a tourist spend a day in New York? In more than 8 years of creating content about the city, this is one of the most frequently asked questions. It is good to remember that the Big Apple is not famous for being the cheapest city in the world – quite the opposite – and, of course, it is also very important to remember that travel expenses vary according to each traveler’s style and budget. To help give you an idea, I prepared an infographic with some prices for food, transport, and tourist attractions.
- REMEMBER: most prices listed are AVERAGE – see the tips, helpful links, and info after the infographic for more details!
- This post was inspired by a similar post from Conexão Paris.
- The price of coffee refers to black coffee. You can simply order a “black coffee” at any coffee shop in the city and add milk (it’s like this at all Starbucks locations, but remember that a quick Google search will show you the closest coffee shop).
- The McDonald’s meal considered in the infographic is the Big Mac.
- Obviously, there are $1 pizzas – but I think it’s interesting to include the price of the slice from other more famous places – and with better pizzas.
- Salad places chains are common in the city, and make no mistake: they offer a great meal. Some are Just Salad, Sweet Green, Chop’t and Fresh & Co.
- These same salad chains – as well as other fast-casual chains like Chipotle – offer complete meals in “bowls” or “plates.” You choose the base, protein, and sides.
- At table service restaurants, a dinner including an entree and a drink costs around $50 – you can find cheaper places too. However, remember that at these places you have to tip the server – from 15 to 20%. Tips are also required in bars, so if you drink, keep that in mind.
- The taxi fare was consulted on the airport’s website – I checked the fare to Manhattan and the tip is also included.
- To book the airport shuttle, click here (I used a hotel in Midtown to quote the price).
- I didn’t include Uber and Lyft pricing because it can vary depending on traffic and demand. To get an idea, open the app and simulate a ride to get a quote.
- I only considered the most classic and famous paid tourist attractions. Click here for tickets to other attractions.
- The price of observatories and museums is average. To learn more about the observatories, click here and check out a full post.
- For tips on how to buy cheap Broadway tickets, click here.clique aqui.
- I hope you enjoyed the post and that it helped to give you an idea of how much money is spent in New York!
As a reminder: this post contains affiliate links – it costs you nothing extra to buy through them and you support my work.
Content creator and journalist in New York City. Here, I share lifestyle, beauty, NYC tips, thoughts, and the struggles about living in the most amazing city in the world! I’m not gonna pretend to be another person: I’m a Brazilian immigrant and I think this is my soul, it is part of who I am. I hope you enjoy my content! Follow me on Instagram!