Generally, I am not very to a specific brand for shampoo and conditioner – I keep changing formulas and brands and testing what suits my hair best. Today, we have so many options and, because of my work, I have access to a lot of products as well. But, I can safely say that all this time, I tested products that were ok and tested products that really impressed me. So I decided to write this post to list the best shampoos and conditioners I have ever used. And, as a bonus, I’ll even share tips from other products that are my favorites to treat and style!
Lumina, Natura Brasil – yes, my first recommendation is a Brazilian brand! Oh, and if you don’t know Natura Brasil yet, you should! By the way, they are huge – they own Avon, The Body Shop and Aesop. Did I hear Brazil for the win? lol. But, let’s talk about these products! Lumina was launched recently. I had the opportunity to try the version for chemically damaged hair, which includes shampoo, conditioner, mask, and serum, and, for me, this line competes equally with brands like Kérastase, for example. I liked this collection so much that I’ve probably used three or four bottles of shampoo. This formula is made with Pró-Teia Biotechnology and Active Liporeposition, it helps recover damage by inserting lipids lost by the capillary fiber and returning the natural cohesion of the strand cuticles. Deeply restore hair and penetrate from inside the fiber, balancing it. You will feel your hair very so soft and hydrated – I had highlights when I used this line and I was really delighted with the results. Not to mention the delicious smell. It is worth remembering that Lumina has other lines – for dry, curly, and straight hair.
Kérastase Blond Absolu – Kérastase is a very popular and beloved brand among Brazilians and I always saw people looking for the products here in New York, but I had never used any product at all until last year when I received the Blond Absolu collection and I was super blond! This line has two types of shampoo – one transparent and the other purple – conditioner, leave-in, and purple mask. I highlight the transparent shampoo, conditioner and leave-in. A friend who visited me at the time that I had these products used the line and she was impressed. You will feel your hair so soft and silky! The formula features neutralizing and caring properties, to preserve the look of every blonde. Hair becomes 11X more conditioned with the fortifying shampoo and conditioner.
HiBar – I have tried, as far as I can, to reduce my impact on my environment by looking for greener alternatives. Bar shampoos and conditioners are some of these alternatives. I’ve always been intrigued by this bar formula – Lush, for example, has been offering shampoos like this for a long time, however, recently we’ve been seeing more brands in the market, largely because of this ecological appeal, since there is no plastic involved. Think of shampoo and hair conditioner as soaps to use on your hair. I saw a friend talking about HiBar brand and I was super interested. I bought the Maintain shampoo and conditioner and I was very happy with the results! I felt that the shampoo cleans the scalp very well (I have oily roots) and it is very easy to apply. The conditioner looks strange at first, but just slide it along the length of the hair and that’s it. I really loved it! Clean, soft, and hydrated hair. There are other lines too!
Hairitage – this is the hairline of the YouTuber Mindy McKnight, known for the channel Cute Girls Hairstyles. The collection features 16 products with colors to identify its categories – yellow for cleaning, orange for conditioning, green for hydration, pink for restoration, and purple for styling. The products can be found exclusively at Walmart and the best thing is that the prices are super affordable – all products cost $8 each. And the formulas are super clean: free of gluten, aluminum, silicon, mineral oils, parabens, sulfates, phthalates, SLS, and SLES. In addition, the formulas are cruelty-free, vegan, and also safe for hair color. I think the shampoo and conditioner are great for everyday use, not to mention the pump packaging – as my hair is oily, I feel that it doesn’t hold the oil so much and I imagine it is much better for those with dry hair. But I also love the oil and the treatment mask. Not to mention the smell. I think it’s a great line with an excellent cost-benefit ratio.
Christophe Robin – cleansing volumizing paste – as I have fine hair, I love using products that add volume to the roots. This is a shampoo paste from a French brand that helps create volume while removing impurities from the scalp. The innovative formula has a unique blend of pure ghassoul clay – with benefits of densification and remineralization, protective rose extracts, and Limnanthes extract – to help preserve and enhance hair color. Its original paste texture turns into a foam to bring immediate volume and thickness to fine hair, without weighing it.
- Microfiber Hair Towel – I have been researching more and more about the best ways to air dry my hair. I love using a hairdryer, I don’t intend to stop using it, but there are days when I’m not in the mood lol. I still haven’t found the perfect technique for this but in all my research, one thing was unanimous: using a microfiber towel to dry your hair instead of the normal towel. Traditional cotton towels are very harmful to hair. Although they are absorbent, the texture causes frizz and friction when rubbed into your hair. Microfiber is more absorbent and removes excess moisture, allowing your hair to retain regular moisture. I’m just loving it!
- Hairdryer – as I mentioned, I love the convenience of a hairdryer and I’ve been using my Conair InfiniPro for a long time. It’s not heavy and it’s super powerful – and the best thing, it’s super affordable!
- Flat Iron – I love a flat iron and I can say: they are not all the same. I had a cheap one for a while until I got this one from Sutra Beauty and I can say: what a difference! My friends were impressed and my mother was in love – I gave her mine and ended up buying another one for me later. The day my mom did her hair with this flat iron everyone asked what she had done differently, I swear! The Infrared Light Beam is located within the titanium plates to penetrate far infrared wavelengths deeper into the hair cuticle than ever before and the Negative Ion Projector streams millions of cuticle-sealing negative ions into hair with each pass, locking in the smooth and shiny- locking out the frizz.
- Hair oil – I use Alfaparf oil since I lived in Brazil. It is great to apply to the hair after using the flat iron or after using the hairdryer – not to mention that the smell is just wonderful!
- Treatment masks – if your hair is very dry or damaged, I highly recommend researching the capillary schedule. It is a schedule for your hair through which you follow a routine of when to hydrate, nourish and reconstruct your hair. This ensures that the hair receives the necessary amount of what it needs, without exaggerating or missing anything. I did it for a long time I just loved the results. And the masks I used were Senscience, Joico, and Shea Moisture.
- Volume spray -I am passionate about Living Proof products and I love this spray to add volume to the roots!
What about you? Tell me about your favorite hair products!
Content creator and journalist in New York City. Here, I share lifestyle, beauty, NYC tips, thoughts, and the struggles about living in the most amazing city in the world! I’m not gonna pretend to be another person: I’m a Brazilian immigrant and I think this is my soul, it is part of who I am. I hope you enjoy my content! Follow me on Instagram!