There is always something new in New York City and this is one of the things that I mostly love about this place. Since I moved here, I have had the opportunity to visit many of these new places, such as the One World Observatory, 1 Brooklyn Bridge Hotel, Gulliver’s Gate and many other bars, shops, and countless restaurants. The future holds so much for New York that it makes us try to imagine how the city will be in 10 years. There are so many things! And one of the most anticipated news, at least for me, was the opening of Hudson Yards’, that happened officially last Friday, the 15th. It’s the largest private real estate development in US history since Rockefeller Center. Located between 10th and 12th avenues, and between 30th and 34th streets, west side of Manhattan, the Hudson Yards is connected to the High Line Park and subway line 7 and can be defined as mixed-use development, as well as public space and an Equinox hotel – the first one of the chain. It also features shops, restaurants, an art space, and a monument that will be in a new city’s postcard: the Vessel.
Since it was announced, the Vessel has already impressed me by the wonderful, modern, different, and huge structure. The vessel is a copper-steel structure that was designed by Thomas Heatherwick and it has more than 154 flights of stairs, 2500 steps. It rises 150 feet above the ground, it seems a labyrinth and is breathtaking. Fantastic. This is one of the places that I will easily add on my list of places to love in the city because it is simply incredible. The structure was manufactured in Italy and arrived in Manhattan after a 15-day boat trip. Although the Vessel had an original budget of $ 75 million, the project cost more than $ 150 million.
One of the cool things about this Hudson Yards attraction is the free access. To enter, you need to book tickets online – for free – through the Hudson Yards website and select day and time. Please note that the booking window is two weeks. Also, if the date you are looking at is sold out, check the website at 8am, as new tickets are released for the same day and for other days within the two-week window. However, even if you can’t get tickets, it’s worth seeing from the outside. In addition, there is a distribution of tickets at the place, depending on the day.
- The elevator is ONLY for disable people. Baby strollers are not allowed (you can “park” the stroller outside).
- You can only book 6 tickets at a time. For groups of 20 or more people, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will have an entry time, but there is no limit to staying in there, but I’d say it will take you at least 30 minutes to explore the structure.
- Hudson Yards is close to the Hudson River and, because of that, it is a windy area, a factor that you should take into account when it is winter in the city.
Although the Vessel is a highlight of the Hudson Yards, the complex has several other attractions. One of them is The Shops at Hudson Yards, a mall with nothing less than 7 floors and more than 100 stores. Among the names of this place, there are luxury brands like Cartier and Tiffany, and other popular brands like H&M, Sephora and Banana Republic. Oh, and it has several experimental and conceptual stores as well as restaurants.
Hudson Yards will be 100% completed in 2022 as there are some buildings still under construction. When that happens, 125,000 people are expected every day, whether they are residents, workers, or tourists. Speaking of the future, we can highlight three great Hudson Yards projects:
- One is the Mercado Little Spain, as a Spanish version of Eataly, from the renowned chef Jose Andres. There will be 15 food and retail kiosks offering tapas, products from Spain and more. It’s in a soft opening and the official opening is due to take place in early April.
- Also in April, there is the opening of The Shed, an exhibition space and performing arts venue. It will have six levels that will house 1,250 people seated or 2,700 standing.
- And next year Hudson Yards will be home for the fourth observatory of the city – Edge is in the 100th floor of 30 Hudson Yards. It is the largest open observatory of the Western Hemisphere, about 300 meters high.
How to get there: just use subway line 7 to Hudson Yards. In addition, the complex is connected to the end of the High Line Park.
Content creator and journalist in New York City. Here, I share lifestyle, beauty, NYC tips, thoughts, and the struggles about living in the most amazing city in the world! I’m not gonna pretend to be another person: I’m a Brazilian immigrant and I think this is my soul, it is part of who I am. I hope you enjoy my content! Follow me on Instagram!