One of the classic things to do in New York City is see a Broadway performance! It is part of the soul of the city – if Los Angeles has Hollywood, New York has Broadway. The question that catches a lot of people is the price of the tickets, which, let’s face it, are not very cheap. But the ticket price shouldn’t be a problem when you know some tricks! I’m pretty sure that even if you live here, you are gonna love all these tips on how to buy Broadway tickets without going broke!
Broadway Tickets – What You Need to Know
First of all, my suggestion is first to ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you want to see a specific show? In this case, it is worth planning and buying tickets in advance.
- Are you open to seeing what’s available? Do the research and see what you like best and what fits best in your budget.
- Are you on a tight budget and only want to see a show if you can find more affordable tickets? Then it’s worth trying the cheap options I list in this post.
Broadway tickets in advance
Tiqets is a ticketing platform owned by Airbnb – you can find not only tourist attractions, experiences and tours, but also Broadway shows. The platform features the leading and most famous shows in the city. One of the coolest things about Tiqets is that you already see the final price – with all taxes included – unlike many other websites that resell tickets out there. After purchase, tickets are sent via email.
- Click here to buy tickets through Tiqets – use code LAURAPERUCHI for 5% off – on the booking details page, at the bottom, you will see the option “Have a discount code?”).
- Consider buying through Tiqets – the blog earns a small commission, and you support my work!
You can also use TodayTix – it features tickets for all the plays and musicals, including some off-broadway options. You purchase through the app or the website using your credit card. TodayTix delivery methods vary by show. They will tell you on the individual show page, before purchase, which delivery method you can expect. Your confirmation email will include detailed information on how your tickets will be delivered.
Musical/play official website
Another very simple way to buy tickets is to go to the official website of the play/musical you want to attend. “But how do I find the official website?”. Usually, all you have to do is type the name of the play/musical + Broadway NYC on Google. But you can also check Playbill website. By clicking here, you access the list of plays/musicals. Click on the desired performance and then you will find the official website. See the example below. When checking the official website, look for the “Tickets” button.
If you are on a budget…
Rush tickets and lottery
There are two common ways to get cheap Broadway tickets: rush tickets or lottery.
- Rush tickets are discounted tickets sold on the same day of the performance. These tickets are available at the time the theater box office opens – usually in the morning – and are limited to two tickets per person. Once you know what time the box office opens, arrive early – there are always lines for this type of ticket, and sometimes there are not enough tickets for everyone.
- Lottery – as the name suggests, it’s a lottery lol. Winners can get up to two tickets for $35 each on average. And most of the plays and musicals offer an online lottery, which is so convenient. Just enter your name and info and keep an eye on your email. Remember: you need to show an ID to get the tickets if you win, so there is no point in filling out several forms using the names of random people. Another important detail: the lottery always opens the day before the presentation – some lotteries open the week before – so it’s not something you can try in advance.
- The best source to learn what is the cheapest ticket available option for every show is the website Broadway on a Budget. It provides a lot of information, such as the location, times, and how to get cheap tickets – rush or lottery tickets. You will find information on how to proceed in cases of lottery or rush, including the link to enter. So, save this website.
- In addition, TodayTix also has a section with Rush Tickets and Lottery. Click here.
- TIP: The secret to winning the online lottery is consistency. For example, whenever my sister comes over here to visit me, she tries the lottery – she sets the alarm every day to sign up for the available lotteries. In October, she won tickets for Lion King. In May, for Aladdin. In 2016, when my mother came to visit for the first time, she won tickets for both.
TKTS, the box office behind the red stairs in Times Square, is not always the best place to save money. Sometimes there are good deals – with up to 80% off – but the problem is that you will lose a lot of time in lines. What few people know is that TKTS has another location in New York – at Lincoln Center. The advantage? There are usually no lines, and this box office sells tickets with discounts for performances on the same day and also for the next day (which doesn’t happen at the Times Square location!).
Locations: Times Square – Broadway & 47th St | Lincoln Center – David Rubenstein Atrium at 61 West 62nd Street
This is an excellent tip for anyone open to any performance option – but wants something guaranteed. Choose a specific date and number of tickets (up to 6) on Broadway Roulette , set a preference for a musical or play, and exclude up to four shows you don’t want to see. On the day of the performance, Broadway Roulette “spins the wheel” and sends you a great show that matches your criteria — and it’s $59 per person plus fees. This is guaranteed: so it’s good to have an open mind. Do your research about the musicals and plays.
The term Off-Broadway mainly refers to the size of the theater where play/musical takes place – with space for between 100 and 499 people – and the use of a specific syndicate. Even some Off-Broadway theaters are, geographically speaking, on Broadway. Some of the city’s most famous shows began (and continue to do so) Off-Broadway. Avenue Q, Sleep no More, Blue Man Group and Jersey Boys are just a few examples of Off-Broadway productions. There are dozens of Off-Broadway plays and musicals – and do you know what the best part of Off-Broadway performances is? Ticket prices for the vast majority of plays and musicals are much more affordable.
- To check the Off-Broadway listings, just click here – you can find details about the history, name, and location of the theater, starting ticket prices and the website.
- TodayTix also features an Off-Broadway section.
Do you like these tips? Do you have any other suggestions on how to get cheap tickets for Broadway performances?
Content creator and journalist in New York City. Here, I share lifestyle, beauty, NYC tips, thoughts, and the struggles about living in the most amazing city in the world! I’m not gonna pretend to be another person: I’m a Brazilian immigrant and I think this is my soul, it is part of who I am. I hope you enjoy my content! Follow me on Instagram!